This is a new hive in the apiary named after the many varieties of willow tree and their importance as an early spring food source for bees. The willow pollen is lemon yellow and available for the bees to forage from February through April. Willow Hive started from a package, originating in Georgia, on April 14, 2012 and was put into a 10 frame Langstroth hive using deep supers, wooden frames and a mix of wired wax foundation and starter strips with wired frames for a foundationless hive. This is a rooftop hive.
Below are the list of posts detailing the history of Willow Hive from the beginning.
- Three New Packages of Bees And Crocus Hive
- Picking Up The Package Bees
- Installing Package Bees In A Rooftop Hive Named Willow
- Bee Package Installation – Don’t Forget The Cork!
- It’s Queen Cage Removal Time!
- Foundationless Frames Are Working! – Willow Hive Check 4-26-12
- Foundationless Frames And Wacky Comb Building